Gluten Free Lactation Cookies Recipe by Root&Bones
What makes these lactation cookies are the galactagogues like oats. One of the reasons for decreased milk supply is low iron levels.
- Oats are super high in iron so some studies have shown that oats help with milk production.
- Flaxseed is high in omega-3 fatty acids (which are great for baby) and it also contains phytoestrogens that can influence breast milk production.
- Fenugreek seeds are related to the pea family and contain potassium, vitamin C, and diosgenin (the compound that is said to help breastfeeding and milk supply).
- Adding HeShouWu will help moms support their iron, antioxidants, and other minerals.
- Reishi will help with stress levels, adrenal health, and immune support; all massively important in the crucial postpartum time.
Root & Bones is a sponsor of the School of Traditional Healing Arts herbal medicine certifications.
- - 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour
- - 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- - 1/3 cup flax meal
- - 1/4 cup almond flour
- - 1 tsp baking soda
- - 1 tsp cinnamon
- - 1/2 tsp cardamon
- - 1 tbsp finely ground fenugreek seeds
- - 1 tbsp Reishi
- - 1 tbsp HeShouWu
- - 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- - 1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- - 2 eggs
- - 2/3 cup maple syrup
- - 1/2 cup coconut oil, , melted and slightly cooled
- - 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- - 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
*optional: add coconut flakes for texture, or collagen powder for extra protein
Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix together the oat flour, tapioca flour, flax meal, almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamon, reishi, heshouwu and salt until well combined. Then mix in the oats.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, then stir in the maple syrup, oil, and vanilla extract.
Pour the egg mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined.
Fold in the chocolate.
Use a spoon to divide the dough into 24 portions, about 2 tbsp, and roll each one into a ball. Place the dough balls on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake 11-14 minutes. Let cool completely.