IN-PERSON: Grow Your Own Mushroom Medicine with Niko Summers - June 29th, 5:30-7pm PT
In this fun and interactive class, we will explore how you can cultivate your own mushrooms at home. This hands-on workshop is perfect for new and budding mycologists, herbalists, foragers, and anyone who’s interested in learning more about incorporating the amazing world of mushrooms into their daily life!
In this class, we will explore:
- The knowledge of how to grow different kinds of mushrooms
- A live hands-on demo for growing your own mushrooms at home, from foraging-to-cultivate, to even small-scale commercial production
- A discussion of easy-to-grow techniques, including Niko’s own personal tips for successful cultivation
- Mushroom identification, including how mushrooms grow and adapt to their natural surroundings
- The significant healing benefits of mushrooms for medicine making
- Species such as Reishi, Shiitake, Maitake, Turkey Tail, Chaga, Lions Mane and more…
- Additional ways you can incorporate mushrooms into your kitchen and daily life!
Participants will go home with a Lion’s Mane kit so you can grow this highly beneficial mushroom at home. You’ll be able to grow these mushrooms again and again, or preserve the spores for future use.
I look forward to teaching you about this amazing world of fungi!
Suggested Supplies to Bring to Class:
- Notebook and pen or pencil
- Smock (if wanted)
- Mask (will be provided but can bring your own)
- Gloves (will be provided but can bring your own)
This class will be live in-person at The Scarlet Sage Herb Co., 1193 Valencia Street, San Francisco, CA 94110.
*COVID Protocols. Masks are required for all participants, although the teacher will be unmasked. Please do not come if you are feeling unwell. Thank you!
Niko Summers is a fifth-generation herbalist and comes from a long line of root workers and midwives. He became fascinated by fungi while studying their medicinal properties. In 2020, Niko founded Native Mushrooms, a mycology company that cultivates rare and medicinal species. When not studying herbs or fungi, Niko likes to go foraging in the woods or spend time in his garden. He is a Native San Franciscan, where he still lives with his dog.
Niko’s book Mushrooms: An Illustrated Field Guide is being released by Simon and Schuster in summer 2022.
Find him on Instagram @nativemushrooms.
In-Person Events cancellation policy:
Out of respect for our teachers, we kindly ask you to cancel at least 24 hours in advance, as the seating for our classes is very limited. If you should have to cancel your registration, notification in writing should be sent by email. Please make sure you state your name and the name of the class in your email.
- An event credit in the amount of the original purchase price will be issued for cancellations received 24 hours prior to the start of the event. Please contact us by email to register for another class of your choice. Event credit is available for a period of six months - according to availability.
- No event credit will be issued for cancellations received within 24 hours of the event, nor failure to attend.
Our Wellness Space and School of Traditional Healing Arts is located below Scarlet Sage, and is not ADA compliant; you will need to walk down 15 stairs to access the classroom and the Wellness Space. Please let us know if you need help walking into the space. We apologize for the inconvenience.
We would love to hear from you! Please contact us here with any questions or give us a call between 11-7 PST at 415-821-0997. We can fill orders for you over the phone as well as online.
Thank you for your love and support!
xo Scarlet Sage