IN-PERSON: Urban Mushroom Forage with Niko Summers 12/3, 11am-1pm PT
Come join us for a mushroom forage in the heart of San Francisco!
Exploring the city’s wild spaces during the late fall season can uncover amazing treasures. Niko Summers, a 5th-generation herbalist and mushroom grower, will take you on an exciting forage to find your very own mushrooms in classic Golden Gate Park.
Niko knows from experience that mushrooms aren’t that hard to find once you know what you’re looking for! During this class, you will learn the pillars of mushroom identification, harvesting, and safe and ethical foraging. You’ll learn cooking tips for the mushrooms you’ll be taking home that very day – and you’ll leave with the foundational skills for becoming a solo mushroom forager.
What you will experience & learn on the forage:
- Tips on mushroom identification and best spots for foraging: an identification and foraging hotspot printout will be provided
- A discussion of mushroom anatomy, climate, and growth habitats (such as tree logs and soil)
- Proper techniques for picking and harvesting mushrooms
- Safety guidelines for culinary use, as well as washing, preparation
- Medicine making with wild mushrooms
- Tips for becoming a solo mushroom forager
What to bring:
- Please bring a good jacket and possibly a raincoat if needed
- Notebook & pen
- Good walking/hiking shoes
- If you have one: a Swiss army knife or mushroom knife (Leather man knives work great as well)
- Optional walking sticks will be provided
- To help you with mushroom ID’ing, you can also bring along a copy of Niko’s new book: Mushrooms: an Illustrated Field Guide (available for purchase at Scarlet Sage!)
Where we’ll meet:
The corner of Hayes St. and Stanyan St. on the Golden Gate Park side at the park entrance.
Sunday, 12/3 from 11am-1pm
All levels welcome! The forage will also be dog and child friendly. Bring your cute dog if you have one.
Learn more: Native Mushroom
Niko Summers is a fifth-generation herbalist and comes from a long line of root workers and midwives. He became fascinated by fungi while studying their medicinal properties. In 2020, Niko founded Native Mushrooms, a mycology company that cultivates rare and medicinal species. When not studying herbs or fungi, Niko likes to go foraging in the woods or spend time in his garden. He is a Native San Franciscan, where he still lives with his dog.
Niko’s book Mushrooms: An Illustrated Field Guide has recently been released by Simon & Schuster.
In-Person Events cancellation policy:
Out of respect for our teachers, we kindly ask you to cancel at least 24 hours in advance, as the seating for our classes is very limited. If you should have to cancel your registration, notification in writing should be sent by email. Please make sure you state your name and the name of the class in your email.
- An event credit in the amount of the original purchase price will be issued for cancellations received 24 hours prior to the start of the event. Please contact us by email to register for another class of your choice. Event credit is available for a period of six months - according to availability.
- No event credit will be issued for cancellations received within 24 hours of the event, nor failure to attend.
Our Wellness Space and School of Traditional Healing Arts is located below Scarlet Sage, and is not ADA compliant; you will need to walk down 15 stairs to access the classroom and the Wellness Space. Please let us know if you need help walking into the space. We apologize for the inconvenience.
We would love to hear from you!
Please contact us using the form below with any questions or give us a call between 11-6 pm PT at 415-821-0997.
We can fill orders for you over the phone as well as online.
WANT TO OFFER OUR PRODUCTS IN YOUR STORE?
Please use the form below to contact us or visit faire.com.
Thank you for your love and support!